21 March 2022 is a historic moment for children’s rights in Wales. From this day on, all types of physical punishment will be illegal thanks to new Welsh Government legislation. The Children (Abolition of Defence of Reasonable Punishment) (Wales) Act 2020 will remove an archaic legal defence by outlawing the physical punishment of children when it comes into force in Wales on 21 March 2022.
As part of the nationwide public awareness campaign, an Ending Physical Punishment advertising van will visit key tourism destinations across north Wales during August.
Visiting over 40 locations over the school summer holidays across the whole of Wales, the van is designed to raise awareness for local residents as well as visitors to Wales of the forthcoming change in the law.
The van will be at the following locations in north Wales during August:
- Tuesday 3 August: Rhyl, Llandudno, Colwyn Bay
- Wednesday 4 August: Zipworld, Zipworld Fforest, Adventure Parc Snowdonia
- Thursday 5 August: Bangor, Caernarfon, Anglesey
- Friday 6 August: Llanberis, Aberdaron, Abersoch, Pwllheli
- Thursday 19 August: Wrexham and Mold
- Friday 20 August: Rhyl, Prestatyn, Talacre beach
- Saturday 21 August: Conwy, Welsh Mountain Zoo, Llandudno Pier, Llandudno Junction
- Sunday 22 August: Zipworld, Adventure Parc Snowdonia, Porthmadog
This post is also available in: Welsh