Children’s Rights and ParticipationOrganised by: Children in Wales
Venue: National Botanic Gardens of Wales, Carmarthen
Wednesday, 15 June 2016, 10.30am – 4pm
National Botanic Gardens of Wales, Carmarthen
This conference will cast a spotlight on our understanding of children’s rights and participation, what it means to children, young people, professionals and academics in Wales in 2016.
We will look at the challenges facing those who are developing participative practice, and showcase examples of innovative practice.
We are delighted that Nadine Farmer, Bryani Kelly & Bethany Roberts of Pembrokeshire’s Youth Assembly will co-chair the conference and confirmed speakers to date include:
– Jacky Tyrie, Lecturer in Early Childhood Studies
who will give an overview of children’s rights and participation in the early years
– Prof Barry Percy-Smith, PhD PGCE, Professor of Childhood Youth and Participatory Practice, University of Huddersfield who has written widely on the subject
– Sarah Griffith, Participation Officer, Children’s Commissioner’s Office and Tenby Junior School who will present their work around the Super Ambassadors Scheme
– Marianne Mannello, Assistant Director: Policy, Support & Advocacy, Play Wales who will outline the work that they have been doing with older children around play and participation
– Sarah Powell, Participation Officer, Carmarthenshire County Council who will deliver a presentation around the work of Carmarthenshire Youth Council and how children’s rights feature in their work. She will also highlight the challenges that the young people face and what could be done to make these better
We also hope to welcome the new Minister with responsibilities for children and young people.
A Question & Answer session with a panel of speakers will round off the day.
For further details and to reserve your place, please visit our website at: www.childreninwales.org.uk/events
Exhibition opportunities will also be available at the conference and to reserve a space please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org There will be a cost of £50 for this (in addition to the delegate fee)
COST: Members £75 Non-members £95
This post is also available in: Welsh